Monday, October 15, 2012

Hmm... more creative thinking

My definition of creativity is using your brain to think of all different aspects of something (a problem, a question, a painting, anything) and going beyond what knowledge you already have to figure out the best way to answer or solve that something. Like in the videos from Buffalo state, the narrator said there are two levels of creativity; big c creativity which affects people on a societal level and little c creativity which affects people in their every day choices and lives. He even said making dinner was an example of creativity. This stood out to me because it's so true. I hate cooking, baking, preparing food... anything with food bores me so I instead of complaining about it and living off ramen noodles, I should find creative solutions to making cooking more fun! Anyway, I do think I am a pretty creative individual. I enjoy the process of creating something and I also liked the quote that said something like it is much easier to tame a wild idea than it is to make a boring one interesting... something like that. I think I'm creative in a lot of aspects of my life and usually consciously but sometimes not. I like to change my personal style, rearrange my furniture, anything little to keep things changing and different.

I used to think that a person had to be artistic to be creative but it's definitely the other way around. I think I am pretty artistic but if my imagination or creativity is blocked, my talent is wasted. I've never really thought about the concept of creativity being learned but I definitely think it can be, it's just kind of a new idea because I've been on such a linear learning path, creativity hasn't been a big enough part of my journey. I already feel like creativity can be learned even just by being in this new learning environment. If someone has an open mind I think creativity can be learned and very beneficial.

I know HOW to use deliberate creative problem solving as a process but how successfully is another question. I'm working on it. Lastly, creativity absolutely fits with connectivism and transliteracy. It takes a creative open mind to reap the benefits of both of all of these new concepts.

No comments:

Post a Comment